Sunday, December 7, 2008

Not Cold Enough: My Life in the Arctic







December 7, 2008



Barrow – Alaska

According to the Weather Underground, the temperature here today is -13 Farenheit with a windchill of -39.

The sensation of the cold is exciting, yet perplexing to the extent of causing a certain sense of unease. If your car breaks down, or if you even get locked out of your house while taking out the trash, you are immediately faced with challenges that few of us ever face. The wind finds its way through any open space in your clothing. If you don’t have your undershirt tucked in, you may as well not even have a coat on because the chill travels up from your belly and penetrates your core immediately. You move fast, swiftly and without confusion because your focus is important.

The Eskimos are like this. Generally, they are concentrated and survival oriented. Imagine the contrast of a Southern equatorial people who relax, speak in a slow manner, and generally draw through the day with ease and understanding that food is easy to collect and the temperature is never too harsh to be outside. In the polar region, things seem the opposite. Words are sharp and few, ideas are direct, and the focus on survival and sustenance is real. Inupiat means “the real people.” Here, you must be real because you cannot fake your way through this place.

At the same time, it is so beautiful. The Arctic night is something I will always cherish. It carries a silent emptiness that is receptive to every energy, every sound, every whisper. Every person here is important and has the ability to disrupt things in a grand scale. Alternatively, every person has the ability to become like the Arctic itself and become more silent, more sustainable, more respectful.

The snow machine is a tremendously powerful tool here. Like all tools, it is abused by some, used to chase, exhaust and even run down fur-bearing animals, to destroy the calm of the night by racing the streets, and to pollute the clean Arctic air. It is cherished for its value in carrying folks farther and more easily than sled dogs, but it is unfortunate that it is not treated more as the tool it really is than merely as a toy to play.

I am struggling to live without the sun, which has been gone since November 17th. My days are brightened by the people, and by the fantastic leaders here. The Inupiat are so encouraged by the new administration. A chance exists to create a new policy towards the arctic: one that recognizes the people, the ocean and the wildlife as much as the oil underneath them.

Everyone here works so hard. There is always too much to do. I’ve given my work here a theme “Not cold enough: my life in the Arctic.” I hate to say it, but as cold as I get here, I know that this part of the world is warming nearly twice as fast as the rest of the planet. I am happy to be cold, and I know that I must help to keep it cold. Who would have thought a guy from West Valley City, Utah, could have such an awesome job!?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that blog definitely left an impression on me and I think what you are doing is honestly inspiring. I can't wait until I come visit and get to experience an arctic night! oh and by the way this is me making an effort to stay in touch with you uncle jonny, so there!

Love your favorite niece,
Rachel

Zeeekcvan65 said...

Jonny,

Glad you are having such a great time. Sory we missed you at Thanksgiving. Keep up the blog, it is very interesting. It should be 60 degrees when the Utes play the Crimson Tide in New Orleans Jan.2nd. Hope you get to watch it up there. Take care and be safe.

Love,

Ron & Karen

Holly said...

Hi Jonny!

Luc's Mom, Holly! Wow! What an incredible whale tale! It reminded me of the buffalo hunt from Dances with Wolves. You need an Eskimo name now! Hmmmmmmm..... Loved your insights on the community and their interdependence with their environment. This is the first blog sight I've joined! Keep up the good work! We'll miss Jen and the boys! Luc will be excited to eventually see Teddy's blog too! Take care and stay WARM! Holly Steffen

DC said...

What up JArc,

I just read your account of your arrival there and can understand completely how surreal it was for you. The travel component alone can be disorienting and then being thrown into a living diorama....frickin' awesome!!

It's a balmy (not to be confused with 'ball me')34 degrees here and snowing lightly finally. Saturday's Tribune had a photo of some portly slob golfing in Park City without his shirt on. He was tastefully pulling his cart behind him while hauling a small load of Budweiser in front of him. Today our winter arrived at last.

Thanks for the great photos. Keep them coming. They probably only lightly reflect what it is like living there and with that culture. A great experience no doubt. Enjoy!

Danny

Me, Myself and I said...

That picture looks sooooo cold! Brrrrr!

jen said...

Great entry. I love how accepting you are of the extreme conditions. I'm sure you have no choice. Its making me nervous about having the right gear for the kids, but I know i don't need to be. We will probably be the overdressed city slickers if I think about it too much. We miss you and love to read the blog. Can't wait to get up there with you :-)

Jen

SLC Mama said...

Sending you some weak Utah sunshine . . .